Kubota 6kw light tower generator?

Started by BioHazard, September 02, 2010, 12:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

Lately I've been thinking more and more about a diesel cogeneration setup for my shop. I've always wanted a lister(oid), but, that just seems like too much work right now with their legal status, and the fact that I'd basically have to rebuild the engine before I can use it. And build a generator, of course. I would like to buy something nearly turn-key ready.

So I went looking around for small water cooled diesel generators and it seems there isn't much you can touch south of $5-10,000 commercially available. The used market is pretty hit and miss.

Then comes in my buddy craigslist. I found a 2004 model Genie light tower with a 3 cylinder Kuboata D1105 engine running at 1800 RPM powering an unkown brushless 6kw gen head. It only has 240 hours on it and I can get it for 2 grand. I don't need the 30' 4kw light tower, but I could sure have some fun with the neighbors... ;)

What do you think about this engine/generator combo for long running cogen use? It seems to be built for heavy use. I would think the engine alone is worth $1500 or more, if it only has 240 hours, am I right? That should be just broken in. Can anyone tell me more about the Kubota D1105 engine? How many hours can it rack up at 1800 RPM before it needs an overhaul?

My other option would be to try and build basically the same thing with the 2 cylinder Yanmar from Surplus Center, but I might have to run that engine faster than 1800 RPM, and I'd likely spend close to 2 grand (and a couple years) on the project. The 3 cyl Kubota seems like a much better prime mover - and I don't even have to load it into my truck, it's already on wheels, with a 30 gallon tank!

Does anybody know of ANY other option for a near turn key, water cooled diesel generator new or low hours in the 3-6kw range, for less than 3 grand or so?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cdray

Our Rescue Squad has 3 light towers with the Kubota setup. They are excellent machines and very quiet too.
I considered buying a used light tower to use as a generator, but I wanted something bigger than a 6 KW. I think there are some of the units that are rated at 10KW but I wasn't able to find one locally. IMO, I think it would be a great setup. It's on a trailer for easy moving and it already has a built in fuel tank. If a 6 KW suits your needs, that sounds like a sweet deal. You could always take the lights off if they are too much of a pain to deal with. David

Henry W

Here is some info on the Kubota D1105 engine.

BG Series, for 1800 RPM generator use: http://www.kubotaengine.com/products/bg/d1105_e3bg.html

05 Series, up to 3000 RPM: http://www.kubotaengine.com/products/05/d1105_e3_2.html

Henry

BioHazard

They actually have two of them for sale, both the same year and model but the other one has "unkown" hours. I was surprised to see 3 cylinders on only a 6kw generator, but I guess that's a good thing, right? I'm glad to see there is a special 1800RPM version, I was looking at the 3000RPM specs last night and was somewhat confused.  ;)

I would assume the Kubota would be one of the worst choices to try and feed any waste oil to? What about something really low like 5% or so? It would be nice if I could burn it's own used crankcase oil...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

LincTex

Quote from: BioHazard on September 02, 2010, 12:34:38 AM
Can anyone tell me more about the Kubota D1105 engine? How many hours can it rack up at 1800 RPM before it needs an overhaul?

That is a STEAL at $2000.

We have many Terex / Amida / Ingersoll light towers with D905 Kubota engines.... one of them is at 11,000 hours with only a new mechanical lift pump (replaced with an electric one) and another just crossed 9,000 hours. There are many others.... None have been apart for overhaul.

I read once somewhere that a well-kept and maintained (and prob with synthetic oil) that you can muster 40,000+ hours from one running at 1800.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP