Microcogen.info/***/SOMRAD Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:05:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
32386 Posts in 2534 Topics by 1106 Members
Latest Member: Mo
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Microcogen.info/***/SOMRAD Forums
|-+  Fuels/alternatives
| |-+  Waste Motor/Hydraulic Oils & Blends
| | |-+  Diesel fuel fractioned from WMO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Diesel fuel fractioned from WMO  (Read 8068 times)
vdubnut62

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 10:11:41 PM »

After a LOT of reading, I get the feeling most of these guys are deciding that it's best just to heat the WMO, and use it for engine fuel.
Besides, just what are they going to do with the residue? Some are looking at a Chinese "refinery" that makes use of lye, but the guys in the know are dead against that too. And I don't blame them, any of the "processes" would leave some really nasty leftovers that you just can't get rid of safely, or at all probably. All I can see is a big mess and ball of fire eventually.
Ron

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Chris

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »

OK. I don't want to try make diesel from WMO.
Can WMO be filtered and be reused economically?
 The reason I ask is that here in Abaco, Bahamas the various gas stations don't know what to do with their waste oil. They are in a catch 22 in that the Ministry of the environment warns them that they must dispose of the stuff in an envionmentaly safe manor or face fines, but they have no recommendations on how to do that.
So any suggestios on how to clean up the oil, add what ever additives needed to bring the oil back to a usable standard without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Chris
Ronmar
SOMRAD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »

Bahamas?  Sounds like a good place for air conditioning...

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=1145.0

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"
cognos
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 08:29:30 AM »

Can WMO be reused, ie. turned back into usable motor oil?

Yes, but not by the home user. It would have to have it's physical characteristics evaluated, then be agressively filtered, caustic washed, water washed, run through a fractionator (and possibly a hydrotreater and some other equipment), and adjusted with additives (not available to the public), and some fresh lubestock.
One needs their own water treatment plant and sulphur recovery unit to treat the wastes to go along with this process...

Can it be done profitably on a commercial scale? Sure, it's commonly done in many places throughout the world. But the bigger, the better.

Where it isn't reclaimed as lube oil, it is often returned to the refinery as "slop", and added into the plant feed, to be made into fuels - and more lubestock.

Filtering WMO, and either using it as fuel or burning it, by an end user, also has some specific hazards attached to it - because of the additives and contaminants in the WMO, the WMO itself is a contact carcinogen and will cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals...  the exhaust will be toxic.. and certainly, what you filter out will need to be handled carefully and disposed of properly... be careful out there... Wink
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:35:24 AM by cognos » Logged
Rom

Lister Power!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »

I have a simple centrifuge, and really just cut it randomly in the best mad scientist style with old diesel, gas, paint thinner or whatever to pretend to get it to the right viscosity. I do have a raw power inline heater and gear pump, but they have not been hooked up yet. My Powerline has been sitting for prolly 2 mos and i ran down there to start it just now to experiment, and it started on the second try, with a weird wmo n junk blend. I know its not healthy to have it sitting with wmo in the system like that, but hell, for the price of spares, i can outright replace parts cheaper than diesel fuel atm, which is 4.65, verses 5.11 gas. With the economy being so bad, our little fuel station has yet to sell out its diesel supply to meet the cost of gas. I suspect when they do sell off the last bit of diesel we shall be over $5 a gallon

Rom

Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: