Microcogen.info/***/SOMRAD Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:02:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
after having a bad run of bot's we now have reopened the forum to new members.  hopefully we won't be overrun again and have to cut of registration.  so if you have been trying to register, now is the time to do so.
34480 Posts in 2720 Topics by 1130 Members
Latest Member: electrosteam
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Microcogen.info/***/SOMRAD Forums
|-+  Fuels/alternatives
| |-+  Methane, Producer Gas, Propane, etc. (Moderator: SteveU.)
| | |-+  lets build a small engine gasifier??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: lets build a small engine gasifier??  (Read 117109 times)
SteveU.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2016, 06:53:23 AM »

Another Volvo four cylinder engine being woodgassed fueled and work loaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHbjqf4vi3c

This one recommended by J.O. Olssen

A 1940's Inbert factory system used now on a 1970's Volvo sedan been driven daily for years.

Stationary use just blow some air past the front cooler/condenser assembly.

Real people, do things, making usable shafts powers all of the time out in the real world and do not let Idealizing, Perfecting, and angels-chasing slow them down.

If you ain't fuels burning for a purpose, you ain't ever learning anything.

Steve Unruh
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:56:23 AM by SteveU. » Logged

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.
SteveU.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »

Back to this topics intent of an easy to make up back-up electrical power system able to fuel with found woodfuels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzwZ0vpjnxw

A six months in development charcoal fueled gasifier system put up by KyleT. as a supplemental electrical power system for PV solar off-grid folks.
Many posts (483!) and videos put up on this evolved systems developments. THREE different direct drive generator systems 5500, 6500 and 7500 watts (gasoline) tried and found not able to weld with. On advise he/they then went with an oversized gen head; oversized engine; INDIRECTLY belt driven for best RPM/torque to be able to get thier design goal of a solid 5,000 watts continuous electrical loading on their wood charcoal fuel. Able then to fully duty weld with their Miller 211 welder. Capable of deep well pumping then I am sure.
In the 483 to date project posts was the need for an inveter capable to taking this high of "generator" input to be able to strong output into the solar-system battery bank.
In the 483 to date project posts was their evolved horizontal barrel charcoal making system. A hardwood mills edging slabs as the wood lengths to be charcoal converted inputs.
Their next declared steps will be reducing the whole system weights back down to be possibly two man pack-able into rough remote locations.
Ha! Use will show the need for some electrical on-off loads; air/chargas mixture control work too I think.

Enjoy watching real folks having done real things in a real needs time frame.
Steve Unruh

"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.
SteveU.

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »

A couple of wood fuel chunker systems in-use best approriate for the smaller chunks needed for smaller systems use. Why I putting this here on this "small engine gasifier" topic.

J.O.'s Rebak Cunker
Link to his 40 post development topic:
http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/jo-s-rebac-chunker/1664
Lots of stills pictures. A couple of put up vidio links too. You really need to see them all to get the details.
Oh. By the way. He fully heats his in central Sweden house with a made up wood stick fueled furnace. Why you see his fuel woods in his pictures back groundHe is a certified chimney sweep. He is a powered para-sailer enthusiast. Works in a local paper mill.
And now drives on wood fuel too.

KhristijansL's newly made up pto driven wood chunker system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGn0pbD1yc
Asked: he says it is made up of a 2mm thick large diameter saw blade. COULD be made from a disc-plow blade.
Power input requirements are 2.5-4 hp (3-6 kW). He freely admits his big tractor is power overkill. Never asked. I think he works as a chemical or mechanical engineer.

Folks this is the last I will be putting up here.
Fella's today, now, actually doing using woodgas to make power are Real.
I, like all of the fellows that I have put up do not live in buried CONEX containers, bunkered down.
We do not live in overly-specialized "statement" houses. Large, Small or Tiny.
We are not artists or missionaries.
Not guilt ridden new-moneyed millionaires, atoning.
Not show-boaters. Not lone-wolfs howling out.
We are real, down-to-earth, practical types. Living it, Real.
We all live lives that accept and work with the normal evolving generational needs of babies, children and the old in all of our developments. This means 32" interior doors and 48" hallways for wheelchairs and baby strollers/walkers. This means ground floor full accessible bathrooms and bedrooms. This means house wrapped covered porches for year around living it out for all.

Peace. Out.
Steve Unruh
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:26:08 PM by SteveU. » Logged

SteveU.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »

Well I am back for maybe one last after-thought post on this topic. Newer meds as of march this year and I seem to be able to for a time sting some letters together legibly.

The theme of this topic was, "(Is it possible to) build a small engine gasifier??"
As layed out by BobG, the originator, in say a weekend? post event? in your garage? able to use event debris? to fuel a small CHP engine/generator?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. and Yes.
with some system capacity restrictions.

www.garringergasifier.com
Lawrence Garringer. His site is down since ?2013, but his videos are still up. Search as garringer gasifier. He is/was in housing construction. His once commercially available systems were designed to work best on kiln dryed lumber framing scraps. Would work on raw fuelwood chunks too. His pictures will show a very simple straightforward chunk wood fueled gasifier/cooler/filtering system. Made of plain sheet metal stocks and hardware. Internal dimensions are "Inbert". Lot of pdf charts up on the NET, and print books showing these. Ha! Something you'd have to get before a Grid-down!! Plus have the gas's for the gas cutter, gas welder, hopefully a MIG welder!!
L.G. never went to pie-in-in-the-sky, all biomass, overreach. Nope. Plain straightforward guy making the same get-direct-results system.

The L.E.A.F wood chunk gasifier.
Mr. Tracy Foutch out of Tennessee USA. He owns and operates a metals fab and spray coating company. He is a self professed prepper. Living in the second most active tornado area of the USA he wanted something small electrical generator usable able to fuel on buildings framing destroyed and tree shattered wood chunks too. His system is claimed useable on up to 10kW/el, 15 hp systems.
Again. A, just-get-it-done straight forward approach. Rurals'; living out rural, real tend to be that way.
Says he built it in one week. Spent three months testing it out to proof out its capabilities.
"Inbert" proven internal dimensions. Same need BEFOREHAND to have this basic information hard copy printed out!!
His system as built uses thicker air/pressure vessel metals and shapes. Ha! WHY I have stockpiled all of the family take out well pump tanks, old water heaters, replaced out shop air compressor tanks. You'betcha. And I do keep my cutting/welding gas tanks full.
You can find his selling/promoting web site, youtubes by just searching L.E.A.F. gasifier
Yep. He will make a sell you one - custom baked powered coated colored finished inside and out. He seems to like yellow. Much experience woodgas operating says get it in black. That's the color all of the operating stains will be in.
See a L.E.A.F. user experience youtube by enginner775  for comments and pictured internals.

Nope. I am not "selling" these. I have never talked, e-mailed, or exchanged with either of these fellows. I do admire much how these two fellows read a bit, then went and just did it for the results that they wanted. The 'just in a weekend" proofs.
These are one man operations and best to see/use ASAP cause that mans life circumstances changes and net info will age-out fall by the wayside.

Regards
J-I-C Steve Unruh (not a prepper. wife says we are rural living sustainers, just-in-case, people. it's completely different. J-I-C, why you fasten your seat belt. you do? don't you? why you put in a food-garden every year. practice. patience. persistence.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:01:06 PM by SteveU. » Logged

mike90045

Metro 6/1 from Sam @ Gotts | Runs!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »

He will make a sell you one - custom baked powered coated colored finished inside and out. He seems to like yellow.

Somehow, I've never gotten the powder coat bug.   It's great for indoor show room finish I suppose.   It's all chipped and flaking off every piece of gear I have, and since it's just melted plastic over metal, it's got no rust resistance. Bumpers, cart handles, trailers, everything powder coated, that's outdoors, is a rust showcase.
We have 2 seasons, wet and rain for 6 months, then dry and hot for another 6

SteveU.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »

I 100% agree with you Mike about power coating as being pretty futile in a woodgasifier, wood heating stove application.
DIY just use exhaust and stove paints, and refresh as needed.
A step above that some have tried is the new water based brush and spray on heat fusing ceramics used on hot-rod exhausts and such. Fine in the heart hearth core of the gasifier reaching over 800-1200F true particle fusing temperatures. Scratches/scrapes off all other surfaces not having fused bonded.
Coated parts for optimal protection need large full assembly HOT oven bake/fusing. Not a DYI capability. Plus fused ceramic coating will with thermal shocking crack and delaminate; then fall off. Ha! Finally caught the old tom Fuzzy-named cat peeing on my hot operated ceramics coated to show me this. Rain spray would do this on for-gas-safety outside used systems. Fresh dumped in wettish wood fuel loading does this internal thermal shocking too. Thermal shocking one of the reasons why precision-use-as-cast ceramics have failed to deliver as internal engine parts.

Solid stainless steel constructing is the best way to go for wood gasifier systems. With systems thermal area differentials gasifier SS MUST be full penetration hand TIG welded. Still have floating internal edges; avoided large flat areas designing. A very few DIY's actually do build up using all SS this way. Damn few. It is expensive even using SS industrial scrap cast offs. Very time consuming to fab.
NOT a build in a weekend and run on Monday for heat and lighting project.

Practice. Patience. Persistence wins, in the end.
J-I-C Steve Unruh
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:36:56 PM by SteveU. » Logged

AdeV

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 02, 2017, 01:19:26 AM »

Thermal shocking one of the reasons why precision-use-as-cast ceramics have failed to deliver as internal engine parts.

On the other hand... ceramic and diamond coated parts are widely used in the most extreme of motorsport applications.... ceramic-coated pistons for example, massively reduce the amount of heat which transfers through the piston crown into the gudgeon pin/rod and crank case. In fact, the biggest problem becomes getting the heat OUT of the combustion chamber so the next load of fuel/air doesn't pre-detonate in the heat...

Diamond coated piston rings are being used to reduce running friction whilst still providing excellent seals against coated bores... there's a whole ton of stuff I could tell you about (but can't, because the magazines it's in are all at home in the UK...)

Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...
SteveU.

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »

Aye-yeah. "MotorSPORT" being the limited use applications.
Serious use ALL platings, coatings, surface treatments will at a minimum wear thin and then the underlying base material will be exposed. Always best to just have the base material piece either readily replaceable; or, self-restoring like solid gold, silver, stainless steel or cast iron.

Yep. Yep. I have very high-tech plated bores in my easy to carry 13,000 RPM Shilh worked chainsaws. And I expect, just like the previous Shihl, Homelites that these better last season after season, years and years and hundreds of hours of worked use. MY responsibility is to keep the air and fuel in clean. Use quality oils in the mix. And not too severely overheat these plated bore engines.

Seven years in the silicon wafer Fab plant and I did use a lot of diamond grit matrix grinding wheels. WE were the world wide consumers of diamands by bulk actually. The made-in-japan equipment with precision cast/machined robotics would all after 3-5 years of every shift's mandatory wipedown cleaning and scrubbing would then plating's and anodizing's would wear through. The aqueous based coolants in the sawing, cutting, grinding/lapping processes would then have machine parts corroding daily.
Ha! Ha! Why I hung on longest operating the old, old made-in-California SVG mostly all stainless steel machines. "Whip-down and Shine". Swirly markes and all.

Wife still has 24 year old wedding gifted cast iron cook-wear. Her gold band and mine still solid gold still shine.
back when i had to I would have to watch band repace every few years for the gold plating's wear trough. Same with my plated/coated prescription glasses frames. A few years and wear trough then white and green coorosions weekly cleanings needed from the skin acids. The ONE late 1980's all titanium one lasted for 12 years and three re-lensings until hinge joints were completly worn out.

REAL usable work performance in all things metals manufactures is measured in years, thousands of hours of useable work-use.
Real proof. I carried the same all SS S&W New-Centennial around the world through thick and thin right up next to my sweaty self for over thirty years. Brush-off and shine. Not even a Gaston Perfection could have done that without tennifer wear through and corrosion. Couple of cnetries says not even hard nickle plating would have held up after that amount of use-wear.

Cast iron engine cylinders use wear the least give real world work use. Are re-bore restorable.

Racing only proved just how fast, how much, some can blow off money to pleasure the low-bar crowds.
Wanna impress real folks, go work up hunderdss od acres: go off shore power bioat fishing, take the kids back and forth from home to schools - school to home . . . . AND . . . do this economically and safely year after years.
That is impressive.
Not one-time grandstandings
J-I-C Steve unruh
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:59:41 AM by SteveU. » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: