Microcogen.info/***/SOMRAD Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2018, 03:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
after having a bad run of bot's we now have reopened the forum to new members.  hopefully we won't be overrun again and have to cut of registration.  so if you have been trying to register, now is the time to do so.
34573 Posts in 2728 Topics by 1130 Members
Latest Member: electrosteam
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Microcogen.info/***/SOMRAD Forums
|-+  TINY HOUSES/THINKING SMALL
| |-+  heating/cooling/power systems
| | |-+  ASHRAE Tiny Houses HVAC Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ASHRAE Tiny Houses HVAC Discussion  (Read 195 times)
sailawayrb

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »

Thought some here might find the attached subject discussion useful.  Do to the file size, I had to break it up into two files.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:10:58 AM by sailawayrb » Logged
sailawayrb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »

Second and last file.
mobile_bob
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

Hiya Rob, ltns
thanks for the pdf files, they are quite timely in that i am having a renewed interest in tiny house design

my original thinking some 20 years ago now, (wow, i hate to admit that it has been that long) was something about 400-500sq/ft, being single, and then after getting remarried maybe as much as 750 sq/ft.

my wife is less than enthusiastic about the prospect, however since moving back to kansas, and buying a place that is two story, with the lower floor to be remodeled from 2 car garage to living space... shhhh don't tell here, but for the last 6.5 years we have done just fine in 750sq/ft the upper floor has afforded us.

yes i would need a larger shop for all my finery... (crap in her words), but hey i don't have to climate control that space save for weather like we are having, then i could control a sub space where i am working only.

as mayor of this little town, (got re-elected to a second term too) i am pushing for a vacant city block to be developed into a tiny house community. 

as proof of concept i have more than enough space on my home spot here in town, to plant a  couple tiny homes without much trouble at all... and am seriously considering doing one.

paying 300bucks per month to cool this space during the heat of summer,and likely over 200bucks to heat it, is the definition of insanity in my opinion. especially when i know that a well designed tiny home could be cooled with an icecube and heated with a kitchen match... relatively speaking of course.

i really think with all the attention given to the tiny home movement, we ought to be applying what we know to that area of design.

doesn't take more than a 3 or 4 light bulbs to light a tiny home, in some cases 1 or 2!   with all that has been done in refrigeration, hvac, etc over the years... even a 6/1 would be overkill in most applications.

i live for the day that someone comes on to this forum having built a tiny home, and is powering it with 100 watts of solar, and a harbor freight 2 stroke generator (yup the little 89 buck jobs) in a co-gen setup, showing how he is living comfortably.   i know for a fact those little generators are at least very quiet and cheap, if not long lived. Smiley

takes me back to our old friend here on the forum,  another bob, who had two 20ft shipping containers, one as his home, one as his shop, his 6/1 as a cogen running at around 350rpm burning waste motor oil and doing just fine.

anyway, nice to see you up and around!  how is life down in "oregon" was it?

bob g
Hugh Conway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »

Tiny house??

Not new, we just used to call them cabins. We lived (wife, dog, myself) for 10 years in a 225 sq ft cabin. The 50psi gravity water supply was a barrel on top of a bluff filled by a ram pump from the creek. We had a couple of batteries for the truck and swapped them out to provide electricity in the cabin. Could not afford a generator. 35 years later, the cabin still stands and is occupied........they have electricity now though.
The main issue with small dwellings is zoning laws.

And BTW, no matter how small the house, the sewage issues remain more or less the same. We used an outhouse, but that won't fly in town.

Cheers,
Hugh

JKSON 6/1 Utterpower PMG off grid
Lister SR2 with Newage Stamford 9.4Kw gen.....project
Lister 6/1 Start-o-Matic.........project
sailawayrb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »

Bob, we are doing well in our remote southern OR location.  We built the shop building that has guest quarters two years ago and we built our new house last year and putting finishing touches on it right now.  The house is 2400 sf, the guest quarters are 400 sf and the shop is 1400 sf, so not “small house” living by any means.  We do use a hydram to harvest our drinking and irrigation water from a creek.  Also have a good well.  We will also eventually have hydro and solar power to supplement the grid power.  Both buildings were constructed using ICF and use passive solar and hydronic radiant floor heating.  The house also has a masonry heater.  I still need to get the Listeroid moved into the shop and operating again.

Hugh, I share your thoughts...cabins, RVs and small mobile homes came first.  They are tolerable for a while, but not something I would be drawn to for long-term living other than necessity.  Yes, sanitation always gets more problematic as the space is reduced...but it can be adequately managed to some degree.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:33:30 AM by sailawayrb » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: