News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Mikes off grid project

Started by mike90045, December 10, 2009, 12:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

Well, I'll post a couple shots, and let the questions & suggestions start.
(Please suggest before I get any further down a wrong path)

mike90045

After pour, and some work done. The 2 small sheds roofs, nearly meet, creating a "breezeway" between the 2 buildings. That's a 3,000 gl water tank on it's side, freshly delivered.
The shop is tall enough, that I could build a 2 story house inside!

major gear under way:
400AH 48 battery bank, XW6048 inverter, MSTristarMPPT60, 15 Evergreen 200. Metro 6/1 w5KW alternator@240VAC.  Will power the shop tools, water pumps, misc light, and beer fridge.

potter

rcavictim

Quote from: mike90045 on December 10, 2009, 12:05:02 AM
That's a 3,000 gl water tank on it's side, freshly delivered.

Gee Mike, I thought that was the empty propane tank from your BBQ.  :D

That is an impressive setup.  Nice big workshop!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

WGB

Very cool!
Is that in an undisclosed location?

mike90045

Quote from: WGB on December 10, 2009, 03:48:13 PM
Is that in an undisclosed location?

Uh, yes (unless I've somehow left the GPS data in the image comments)  until I have my security system in place. [me, cell ph, and sidearm]

Northern Calif.

XYZER

Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

rcavictim

You're in Northern California?!  Do you know Jim?  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mike90045

Quote from: rcavictim on December 10, 2009, 07:44:03 PM
You're in Northern California?!  Do you know Jim?  :D
Not yet, after I move up there, I'll have more time to roam the neighborhoods.

mike90045

Roll-Up-Door   -  aka  "Objet d'Art"
  We had a minor setback with securing the big storage building, the roll-up door contractor dropped the door from 18', turning it into an "Objet d'Art" and it will be a while before a replacement is installed. Nobody injured.

Genset was delivered Tuesday, I'll get eyes on it about the 26th. So far I know I need 7 quarts of oil, I'll get some plumbing elbows and nipples to rig up a psudo hopper to run it a little bit.  Any idea of the water jacket capacity of the Metros ?  2 gallons, 12 gallons ? 

Still un-decided about water pump, need to move 7,000, 80' uphill, from pond, to storage tanks, to get enough head to gravity feed 2 acres drip irrigation.  Then another 7,000 the next week...  I suspect I'm looking at a big Grundfos CR5-5 and trying to decide on a single phase motor, or a 3 phase, with an electronic single-three phase driver module.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)  Wondering if anyone has had experience with the 1-3 modules, or if they are junk (any brand considered)

rcavictim

Mike,

3-phase motors are the way to go if you can for your pump.  Forget any 1 to 3 phase converter if it is possible to put a 3-phase generator head on your prime mover.  That will be much more efficient and also reliable.  If the wire run is long go with high voltage.

Jedon

QuoteAny idea of the water jacket capacity of the Metros ?  2 gallons, 12 gallons ? 

Less than 2 gallons.

I'm in Northern CA also, 9 miles north east of Nevada City on the North San Juan Ridge near Malakoff Diggins.

mobile_bob

automation direct has a solid reputation in industry, i would be very surprised to find out they
sell anything that is junk and not up to the task it was designed for, however

you might want to talk to them or the manufacture about a specific use just to be on the safe side.

bob g

BruceM

Mike- I'm Probably off track, but your pumping efficiency would be  better with a pump driven directly off a Listeroid or whatever. 

Then just match your horses and head in feet along with friction head loss for your pipe run size at that flow rate  with an appropriate centrifugal pump...

Bruce M

mike90045

Quote from: BruceM on December 17, 2009, 01:47:36 PM
with an appropriate centrifugal pump...
It's getting the appropriate pump, mounting it, maybe the electric is easier.
More pics, up at my facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2030352&id=1196643274&l=896fc017f1